Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September 17 - Flood of Regret

Overview of: Genesis

Today's Reading:

Gen. 6:1 – 7:24
"The Flood"

Focus Verses: Gen. 6:5-8
5 The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the LORD said, "I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them." 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

Insight:
We've barely gotten a start in the Bible's account of mankind's beginning (the genesis) and God, the creator, is ready to start over! The wickedness of humanity had so quickly become so pervasive, God was grieved to have created them. Noah, however, stood out among the people of his time and found favor with God. He walked with God, turned away from the evil around him, and pursued righteousness.

Response and Action:
What are the inclinations and thoughts of my heart? Do I grieve the heart of God? Do I turn away from the wickedness? I need God to flood my life and wipe out the wickedness in me. I need to be made new and walk with God in righteousness. Even though evil is so prevalent in my world and in my time, I can be different and pursue righteousness. Jesus Christ has made a way for me to have new life!

O Lord, I do not want to grieve your heart. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Thank you for giving me a new start through Jesus. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of your name. Amen

Proverb for Today: Prov. 17:20
"One whose heart is corrupt does not prosper; one whose tongue is perverse falls into trouble."

New Testament for Today: 1 Peter 3:18
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
In Context: 1 Peter 3:12-22

Resources:
How To Read Genesis
by Tremper Longman