Monday, September 15, 2008

September 15 - Made to Care

Overview of: Genesis

Today's Reading:

Genesis 1:1 - 2:25
"The Beginning"

Focus Verses: Gen. 1:26-28
26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. 28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Insight:
God created the heavens and earth with order and with purpose. Humanity was made in God's image and given the special calling of being caretakers of the earth.

The power of humanity in the world is obvious. Among all the creatures on earth, human beings are clearly the ones who are subduing and ruling it. From technology, politics, and communication, to knowledge, art, religion, culture, and environment, what humans do has a huge impact on God's creation. That is why it is so important for us to seriously consider the ways our choices and actions impact our world.

God made us in his image and called us to be caretakers of his creation. The impact we have on our world should be guided by our desire to honor and serve our maker.

Response and Action:
If I believe that I am created in God's image, the way I live should reflect that image. I should care for creation and live within it in a way that honors the Creator. As a human being made in God's image, I have a greater capacity to affect the world around me than plants and animals. This means I have a greater responsibility.

O God, help me to be a good steward of all you have given to me. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Help me to honor you in every attitude, word, deed, choice, and action. Help me to impact the world for good. As I am made in your image, help me to leave a trace of your image upon all I touch whether that be relationships, community, culture, or the environment. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 15:14
"The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly."

New Testament for Today: Colossians 1:15-17
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
In Context: Colossians 1:3-23

Resources:
The Care of Creation: Focusing Concern and Action
by R. J. Berry