Monday, September 08, 2008

September 8 - Seeing through Scripture

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. The first day of the new reading schedule is September 15th. Invite others to read with you this year!

Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Luke 24
"Jesus on the Road to Emmaus"

Focus Verses:
Luke 24:25-27
25 He said to them, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?" 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

Insight:
When the disciples failed to recognize Jesus, he did not immediately tell them who he was. Instead, he asked them what they were thinking and feeling. He then turned them to the testimony of scripture. He wanted them to see how the scriptures accurately explained who he was and what would happen to him. He helped them see the reliability scripture and demonstrated the importance scripture for all who want to understand and recognize him.

Response and Action:
Knowing and understanding the Bible is a very important part of knowing and understanding who Christ is. I must make time for reading and meditating upon God's word and make it a priority in my daily life. I want to be a person who recognizes Jesus for who the Scriptures show him to be.

O God, thank you for your written word. Thank you that your Spirit has spoken through the prophets. Help me to be a person of the Word. I want to read, study, memorize, and know the scriptures. As I hide your word in my heart, please help me to better recognize and know Jesus.
Amen.

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 8:33-34
"Listen to my (wisdom's) instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway."

Recommended Reading:

Can I Trust the Bible?
by Darrell Bock