Tuesday, September 16, 2008

September 16 - Falling Down

Overview of: Genesis

Today's Reading:

Gen. 3:1 - 4:26
"The Fall and Sin"

Focus Verses: Gen. 3:23-24
23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove them out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

Insight:
Today's reading is absolutely packed with important things to think about. How did sin begin? What are the consequences of sin? What is the nature of temptation? What is the hope of redemption?

It's clear that sin damaged humankind's relationship with God. Instead of enjoying God's presence in the cool of the garden, and being glad to hear his voice, Adam and Eve felt naked and afraid and hid from him. Though God demonstrated care for them and gave them garments to wear, he banished them from the Garden forever, told them how terribly difficult their lives would be apart from him, and how they would eventually die.

But even in this sad story of humanity's fall, there is a hint of hope and redemption. In God's curse of the serpent, we see the promise that one day a descendant of Eve would crush the serpent's head. Christians believe that promise was fulfilled in Jesus Christ as he conquered death and rose from the grave and broke the curse of sin.

Response and Action:
I do not want to disobey God or disregard his word. I want to be careful to not be deceived by anything or anyone who distorts what God has said. I will guard against questioning God's truthfulness or faithfulness. I want to avoid the consequences of sin. I am thankful that Jesus has overcome sin and death and gives me hope and purpose for life.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and help me to do what is right. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, and care for my body. Help me to put my trust in you and to have faith in your goodness and saving grace toward me. Amen

Proverb for Today: Prov. 16:18
"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."

New Testament for Today: Romans 5:17
17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!
In Context: Romans 5:16-19

Resources:
The Care of Creation: Focusing Concern and Action
by R. J. Berry