Friday, October 13, 2006

October 13 - Crossing Over

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Exodus 17-18
New Testament: John 5

Focus Verses: John 5:24-27
24"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. 25I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. 27And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man."

Insight:
Faith in Jesus is the escape from death and the way to eternal life. Jesus, the Son of God, can raise the dead with the sound of his voice. He has been given the authority to give life and the authority to judge.

Response and Action:
I want life and hope. The scriptures tell me that belief in Jesus is the way to cross over from death to life. Real belief is more than thoughts and more than words, it is committing my life to Christ. If he is the bridge, I must do more than look at the bridge and say I believe in it. I must leave the ledge and start walking, surrendering to my faith in that bridge to hold me as I walk. What ledges am I holding on to? Do I really trust Jesus? Do I trust his way to be the sure way? Will I cross over to life in new ways today?
O God, you have given your Son the power and authority to save and change lives. Help me to hear your voice; raise me from my deadness and give me life through Christ. I have faith in Jesus. Increase my faith! Search me, try me, and know my anxious thoughts. Lead me in the everlasting way. Amen.


Proverbs: 13:14
14 The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.

Resources:
Can Man Live without God
by Ravi Zacharias