Monday, October 23, 2006

October 23 - Fruitful Living

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Exodus 37 - 38
New Testament: John 15:1 - 16:4

Focus Verses: John 15:1-5
1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Insight:
Jesus gives a metaphor for understanding life: God is the gardener, Jesus is the vine, and his followers are branches. A fruitful life is one that glorifies God by producing good deeds through a relationship with Jesus and adherence to his words. A healthy connection with Jesus produces much fruit. God, the gardener, tends the vine and prunes the branches to increase fruitfulness.

Response and Action:
I want my life to honor God and produce good fruit. I want to lead a righteous life and do the good things that result from following Jesus. I will make every effort to know and understand Jesus' teaching and follow his example. I will order my life in ways that connect to Jesus -- making him the center, the source, and the root for all I do. Because this is something that I want and God wants, I can expect God to be at work in my life, pruning and shaping me so that I can bear more fruit.

O Jesus, help me to have a strong and healthy connection with you. Help my life to grow out of yours. Help me to bear the fruit of righteousness in my marriage, my family, my work, my community, and my world. O Father, help me to trust you as you prune and shape my life toward fruitfulness that truly honors you. Amen.

Proverbs: 23:12
Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.

Resources:
Life on the Vine: Cultivating the Fruit of the Spirit in Christian Community
by Philip D. Kenneson