Friday, October 06, 2006

October 6 - The One Who Serves

Todays Reading:
Old Testament: Genesis 48-50
New Testament: Luke 22

Focus Verses: Luke 22.24-27
24Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

Insight:
Jesus is a servant. He did not serve inspite of greatness, but rather he served out of greatness. Servanthood is at the core of his greatness. To truly follow Jesus, I must become a servant.

Application:
Lord God, help me to ba a servant. I want to follow in the way of Jesus. Help me to pour out my life for others. Help me to serve my wife, my family, my neighbors, my co-workers, my students, and my community, through Jesus Christ my Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Proverbs: 6:10-11
10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest- 11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man."

Resources:
Love in Action: Experiencing the Joy of Serving (Interactions) (Paperback)
by Bill Hybels, Kevin G. Harney, Sherry Harney