Tuesday, October 31, 2006

October 31 - My Response of Faith

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Leviticus 16 - 18
New Testament: Acts 2

Focus Verses:
Acts 2:38-41
38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. 42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Insight:
Those who believed the message Peter was delivering about Jesus responded by being baptized. The believers devoted themselves to: 1) the teaching of the apostles, 2) fellowship with each other, 3) breaking bread, and 4) prayer.

Response and Action:
If I accept the testimony of the scripture about Jesus, I should respond and give witness to my faith through baptism. As a believer I should devote myself to the scriptures, live in fellowship with other believers, celebrate and remember Christ through the breaking of bread (holy communion), and pray.

I believe in you, Christ Jesus. My baptism was a testimony of that faith. Help me as I devote myself to the study of your written word, as I follow you in the company of believing friends, as I worship and break bread in Christian community, and as I take time for prayer. Amen.

Proverbs: 31:8
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute."

Resources:
The Pursuit of God in the Company of Friends
by Richard Lamb