Saturday, October 07, 2006

October 7 - The Choice to Save

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Exodus 1-4
New Testament: Luke 23

Focus Verses: Luke 23:33-35
33When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots. 35The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, "He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One."

Insight:
The people who sneered and mocked Jesus with the words, "He saved others, let him save himself," unintentionally highlighted the heart of the situation. Jesus could not save us if he saved himself from the pain of the cross. The incarnation of Jesus and his death on the cross are necessary for my salvation.

Response and Action:
Thank you, Jesus, for enduring the shame and suffering of the cross. You freely laid down your life in order to save mine. Help me, now, to hold fast to this great gift to me. Help me to lay down my life in surrender to you. Help me to live out surrender to you in all my choices and actions today. Amen.

Proverbs: 7:4
4 Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and call understanding your kinsman..."

Resources:
Basic Christianity
by John Stott