Thursday, October 26, 2006

October 26 - Surrendering for Others

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Leviticus 4 - 6
New Testament: John 18
Focus Verses:
John 18:1 - 8
1When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was an olive grove, and he and his disciples went into it.
2
Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. 3So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. 4Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"
5
"Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.
7
Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth." 8"I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go."

Insight:
John's account of Jesus' arrest includes a very important detail missing from the other gospels. It also seems to be missing from most retellings of the story. I've never seen this detail depicted in any passion play, movie, or painting. I've rarely heard it talked about in sermons. I've actually had many Christians react with surprise when I point out this detail in John's eyewitness account.

When Judas leads a detachment of soldiers and officials from the chief priests and Pharisees (temple guard) to the garden to arrest Jesus, an amazing thing happens. Jesus asks, "Who are you looking for?" They reply, "Jesus the Nazarene." Jesus says, "I am he," and when he says those words, Judas and all the soldiers and officials, with their swords and lanterns and torches, fall to the ground.

This is an incredible display of Jesus' authority and the power of his word. He clearly would not have had to submit to arrest. No wonder Peter was so emboldened to strike out at a guard. Jesus made his point and asked for the release of his disciples (which was granted) and then submitted to arrest.

Response and Action:
Jesus clearly did not have to submit to arrest. This demonstrates his free and selfless choice to suffer the path to the cross and the cross itself for our sake and for our salvation. I will offer up my thanks to Christ Jesus today for the gift of salvation. As a follower of Jesus, I will surrender my life to God in service to others.

Help me, O God, to have the same attitude that was in Christ Jesus. He emptied himself and was obedient to death. Help me to empty myself and make choices to live for you, O Lord, and to serve others in the name and spirit of Jesus. Amen.

Proverbs: 26:2
"Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest."

Resources:
The Incomparable Christ
by John Stott