Tuesday, October 24, 2006

October 24 - Taking Heart in a Troubled World

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Exodus 39 - 40
New Testament: John 16:5 - 33

Focus Verses: John 16:33
33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Insight:
Jesus says these words in the context of imminent suffering and trouble. Jesus speaks of his arrest and crucifixion and the scattering of his disciples. Jesus would be abandoned by them, and they would be seized with fear. But Jesus also tells them that there will be joy on the other side of the grief, suffering, and fear (16:20-22). He tells them that trouble is a given in this world, but He is greater than the world. He can give peace and He has overcome.

Response and Action:
There is so much trouble in the world. Conflict, misunderstanding, hate, greed, fear, violence, disease, poverty, and the struggle for power are on display every day. You can see it in every newspaper, every place, and in every life. Jesus claims that he has overcome the world. He claims that he can give me peace even in this trouble world. He calls me to put my hope in him because in him I can persevere through the trouble and grief to a place of joy.

Dear Jesus, you I believe you came from the Father, that you lived among us full of grace and truth, that you died on the cross in order to open the way to life, that you rose from dead just as the scriptures promised, that you ascended into heaven, and that you are now seated at the right hand of the Father. I believe you have overcome the world. I will take heart as I live in this troubled world because my hope is in you. Help me to persevere and stand firm in you. By your grace, help me to overcome and be an instrument of joy and peace. Amen.

Proverbs: 24:10
"If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!"

Resources:
Cries of The Heart
by Ravi Zacharias