Saturday, October 14, 2006

October 14 - Words of Life

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Exodus 19-20
New Testament: John 6

Focus Verses: John 6:63-69
63"The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." 66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. 67"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. 68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Insight:
Many people stopped following and believing Jesus when his words were difficult to understand or accept. Peter's statement of faith is both profound and pragmatic. "Lord, where else can we go?"

Response and Action:
Jesus' words are spirit and life. Where else can I go for life and hope? Who else is offering me anything remotely as rich and meaningful and compelling as Jesus? I will take in and absorb and delight in Jesus' words. I will abide in them. I will not stop listening to him or turn away from him when his words are hard to understand or accept.

"Where else can I go? Why would I follow the blind? Who else would I listen to? How else can I find the way and the truth? Where else can I turn? What other place would I go? How else can I ever learn? Who else do I know with the words of life? So many voices are calling and so many hands point the way, but only one hand can raise me on the final day. I'm looking to you and believing all you have said is true. I know you were sent from the Father; I know he has drawn me to you."
(From "Words of Life" on the CD "So Far to Go" © 2002 by Sonoluma)

Proverbs: 14:15
15 A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps.

Resources:
So Far to Go (Music CD)
by Dave Burkum