Thursday, October 05, 2006

October 5 - Standing Firm

Todays Reading:
Old Testament: Genesis 46-47
New Testament: Luke 21

Focus Verses: Luke 21:16-19
16You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17All men will hate you because of me. 18But not a hair of your head will perish. 19By standing firm you will gain life.

Insight:
Jesus warns his followers of a time when, because of their faith in him, they will face betrayal, hate and even death. He tells them to stand firm in their faith because in standing firm they will gain life. Jesus speaks these words with great confidence and authority. He even appropriates the very words of God (Isaiah 40:8) as his own when he says, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

Application:
I have never yet faced the kind of persecution Jesus warns about in these verses, but someplace in the world today Christians are suffering because of their faith in Jesus. I must pray for them and prepare my heart and mind for the very real possibility of persecution in my future. I must follow Jesus with my heart, soul, and strength today -- acknowledging his lordship and authority -- if I am going to be ready to stand firm in him in times of trial and hardship. I must embrace Jesus' words and promises with the same confidence he speaks them to me. If I stand firm, I will gain life.

Proverbs: 5:1-2
1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight, 2 that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge.

Resources:
2 Timothy: Standing Firm in Truth (Bible Studies) (Paperback)
By John Stott